72
High Street
Winchester
Hampshire
SO23 9DA

Tel: 01962 842030



1869-1996
Hamptons had been established since 1869 when, in premises on Pall Mall East shared with the National Gallery, the estate agency arm of Hamptons was launched with eight staff under the direction of George and W. Powell Hampton. A bomb later destroyed the premises during the Blitz in 1940 and the site is now the Sainsbury Wing of the Gallery.

The firm’s history really began some 39 years earlier when their father, William Hampton, opened a shop in Cranbourn Street just off Leicester Square for the sale of furniture. In 1890 a fire broke out which almost entirely destroyed the estate office’s records. A new estate office had to be provided and the staff was transferred to offices at 1 Cockspur Street. A limited company was formed with George Hampton as Chairman and Managing Director and in 1900, a satellite office was opened on Wimbledon Common.

In 1920, Hampton & Sons, Estate Agents & Auctioneers, moved to 20 St James’s Square, London W.1. Hamptons handled a number of notable auctions, including that of the Michelham Collection in 1926, when the record auction price of 74,000 guineas was achieved for Sir T. Lawrence’s painting ‘Pinkie’. The sale of a number of world famous liners and their contents was conducted by Hamptons, including that of the Mauritania, some of whose fine panelling still adorns the walls of Hamptons St James’s and Wimbledon offices. The sale of the Cameroons, a group of islands off West Africa was successfully achieved shortly after the First World War.

In 1936 the Estate Office moved to the former French Embassy building on Arlington Street, St James’s and 21 years later the Estate Agency was separated from the parent company when a partnership was formed by the founder’s grandson.

The early 1980’s saw an expansion of the business under the ownership of British and Commonwealth when a number of local businesses in the South of England were brought under the Hamptons brand name. Included amongst these were Christopher Rowland, Giddy & Giddy, Messenger May Baverstock and Pocock & Lear. In 1991 Hamptons was bought by Bristol & West Building Society.

1996-2005
In February 1996 Hamptons was purchased by Cluttons London Residential Agency (CLRA). CLRA had been formed in 1992 by Robin Paterson after the acquisition of several Barnard Marcus London Offices and an office in Hong Kong. With funding from NatWest Ventures and Marco Polo Developments, a Singapore-based property investment company, CLRA opened new offices in London and Singapore over the next four years.

2005
In April 2005 Wheelock Properties (Singapore) Ltd., formerly known as Marco Polo Developments, made an offer which resulted in its owning the entire issued share capital of Hamptons Group Ltd. David Lawrence, the Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of Wheelock Properties (Singapore) Ltd Company and a Director of Hamptons, became Executive Chairman of Hamptons Group Ltd following the acquisition.

2006
In August 2006 Emaar Properties, one of the world’s largest real estate companies, acquired Hamptons International. The acquisition formed an important part of Emaar’s strategic plan to expand its global operation to include Europe.